by Annie Dieu-Le-Veut
I’ve recently been writing about various natural remedies for coughs and colds, since contracting a nasty virus. Another great aide I’ve been feeling the benefits from is black seed oil rubbed on the chest, and ground black seeds in fruit juice.
I was interested in trying black seed oil – also known as black cumin, black coriander or black onion seeds – after reading that it was found in the Egyptian tomb of Tutankhamun, and also that Mohammed had reputedly said that it cures everything except death!
I wasn’t exactly at death’s door, but I did feel that I needed something powerful to help me get rid of a cough which been hanging around for weeks.
After two weeks of using black seed oil I can report that I’m feeling better in all sorts of ways, some quite unexpected, and there has been a sort of slow detox effect. I feel as if I’ve been cured of not so much illnesses but weaknesses and pollution in my body system that I didn’t know existed before. I only know that I feel a lot better now that it’s been removed and I have a lot more energy and joie-de-vivre.
I was impressed to find, too, that black seed oil is one of the few natural products that has many scientific tests to its name testifying to its health benefits. So I’m not just imagining them!
Many of these benefits are listed in this article, by Elizabeth Renter.
You may or may not have heard of Black seed (nigella sativa) before. It goes by many names, including black caraway, Roman coriander, and black cumin, to name a few. But no matter what you call it, these seeds are loaded with health benefits that we are only beginning to understand.
From eliminating harmful bacteria to regenerating the body’s cells and tissues, here are 20 awesome research-backed health benefits of black nigella seeds and oil.
Health Benefits of Black Seed
- 1. Type 2 diabetes – Researchers found that just two grams daily of black seed could result in reduced fasting blood sugar levels, along with decreased insulin resistance, and increased beta-cell function in the pancreas.
- 2. Epilepsy – Published in Medical Science Monitor, one study found black seed to be effective at reducing the frequency of seizures in children who resisted conventional treatment. Black seed indeed has anti-convulsive properties.
- 3. Colon Cancer – In cell studies, black seed has been found to have anti-cancer properties, inhibiting the growth of colon cancer cells specifically. In one animal study, the seed was able to fight colon cancer in rats successfully with no observable side effects. The same obviously can’t be said for conventional cancer treatments.
- 4. MRSA – The deadly and antibiotic-resistant bacterial infection known commonly as MRSA responded favorably to treatment with black seed in this study from the University of Health Sciences in Lahore, Pakistan.
- 5. Protection Against Heart Attack Damage – An extract from black seed has been shown to possess heart-protective qualities, dampening damages associated with heart attacks and boosting overall heart health.
- 6. Breast Cancer – A few studies have linked a thymoquinone extract from nigella sativa to reduced breast cancer tumor growth and increased apoptosis (cell death) in breast cancer cells.
- 7. Brain Cancer – A study published in the online journal PLoS One indicates thymoquinone from black seed can induce cell death in glioblastoma cells. Glioblastoma is one of the most aggressive brain tumors of all.
- 8. Leukemia – As it’s been shown to do with other types of cancer, black seed compound thymoquinone has also been shown to induce apoptosis in leukemia cells.
- 9. Brain Damage from Lead – A study published in Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology indicates black seed is able to dampen and reverse damage to the brain sparked by lead toxicity.
- 10. Oral Cancer – Research indicates thymoquinone from nigella sativa is able to induce cell apoptosis in oral cancer cells.
- 11. High blood pressure – Published in the journal Fundamentals of Clinical Pharmacology, researchers found extract from black seed to cause a significant decrease in LDL cholesterol and blood pressure, offering a natural treatment for mild forms of hypertension.
- 12. Asthma – Multiple studies, including this one published in the journal Phytomedicine, has found Nigella sativa to possess anti-asthmatic effects. One even found it superior to conventional drug treatment.
- 13. Sore throat – Research indicates that black seed is an effective treatment for acute tonsillopharyngitis with tonsil or throat tissue inflammation. Basically, it can relieve viral sore throats.
- 14. Radiation Damage Control – The active compound thymoquinone has been found to protect brain tissue from radiation-induced damage. Researchers say the substance is able to “clearly protect brain tissue from radiation-induced nitrosative stress.”
- 15. Morphine Addiction and Toxicity Prevention – A study published in Ancient Science of Life found Nigella sativa to reduce the indications of morphine intoxication, tolerance, and addiction. Could this seed be the answer to opiate dependence?
- 16. Protection Against Chemical Weapons – Researchers from Mashhad University of Medical Sciences in Iran found a tincture of Black seed able to reduce the symptoms of chemical weapons exposure including wheezing, respiratory symptoms, and even the need for drug treatment.
- 17. Post-Surgical Scar Prevention – Tested on areas of post-operative trauma, Nigella sativa was found to protect peritoneal surfaces from scarring or adhesion formation.
- 18. Psoriasis – Applied topically to psoriasis inflammation, black seed was able to increase epidermal thickness and soothe eruptions.
- 19. Parkinson’s Disease – An extract of thymoquinone, from black seed, was shown to protect neurons from toxicity associated with Parkinson’s disease and dementia in a study published in Neuroscience Letters.
- 20. Cervical Cancer – In a cervical cancer cell line, extracts of thymoquinone were able to trigger apoptosis or cell death, slow cancer progression, and stop the spread of the cancer.
Shop GMO Free in the UK
With the Shop GMO Free app at your fingertips, you’ll be able to join with us, to ‘persuade’ food manufacturers to help us regain our food sovereignty, to use our right to decide what sorts of foods they should be supplying us with, in a language they can understand. In other words, we can vote with our shopping baskets!
With this app, it couldn’t be easier – it’s the no hassle way to buy foods for yourself and your family that are guaranteed by their manufacturers to be free from GMOs and from products from animals fed on GMO-free feed.